Just before Christmas we learnt of a delay to the submission of designs to the Chichester diocese due to necessary minor revisions. This should not affect our overall schedule which at the time of writing remains on track. Tenders for the project are due to go out at the end of January and work is starting on preparations for the closure of the church anticipated at the end of May/beginning of June.
The scope of the project includes:
- Demolition of the old vestry, boiler house and of a shed to the North of the building, to be followed by construction of an extension to house
o A new vestry (large enough to be used as a small meeting room or creche),
o Toilets (including accessible and baby change facilities)
o A plant room (for equipment, not for pot plants!).
- Repair of external stonework.
- Construction of a new bell ringing gallery at mezzanine level with installation of a small kitchen area at ground level of the bell tower.
- Relocation of the font to create additional space and to create a processional route from the West door along the aisle of the church.
- Repositioning of 2 rows of front pews and realignment of some others to create more flexible space at the front of the church.
- Renewal of heating, lighting, electrical circuits and audio visual equipment.
- Enclosing of the porch on the South side to minimise cold drafts.
Due to the intrusive nature of the work the church will need to close fully during the period of construction, estimated to start in May or June 2020 for a period of around 6-9 months.
Sunday Services (and possibly other, one off events) are to be held at the new Thakeham Village Hall during that time and church team leaders, along with our vicar, Sara-Jane, will shortly meet to discuss how this may be done in a way which glorifies God and blesses our church and village.
Drawings of our proposed scheme continue to be displayed at Church Rooms, adjacent to the car park.
Church Rooms are usually open for coffee after services starting at 0930 or 1030 (see our programme), so why not come along to one of these, then have a look at plans over a coffee and a chat? You will be most welcome.